Saturday Night Live is one of the most important social and comedic institutions in America. The show has launched many prominent careers, including Will Ferrell, Mike Myers, Tina Fey, and Jimmy Fallon. SNL remains a popular weekly viewing choice for many people, but there have been concerns in recent years about the show’s quality. However, last night’s broadcast marked the worst SNL episode this season because a repeat was aired instead of a new episode. If you missed it or just want to watch it again for any reason, we have details about why SNL was a Repeat Last Night. Find out why SNL was a repeat last night and see some clips from the show below.
Why was SNL a Repeat Last Night?
There could be many reasons why SNL was a repeat last night. One possibility is that the writers were unable to come up with enough original material for a new episode. Another possibility is that some of the cast or crew were unavailable, so they had to resort to airing a rerun. Finally, it’s also possible that the ratings for last week’s episode weren’t very good, so NBC decided to air a repeat instead.
Why Is SNL Repeating Episodes This Season?
- The show’s production team was forced to air a repeat last night because the new episode was not ready for broadcast. Many of the typical staff members had scheduling conflicts, which led to the decision to air a repeat.
- This is not an uncommon occurrence for SNL, especially during election years like this one. The show has aired repeatedly on multiple occasions in recent months because of scheduling conflicts and other issues.
- The network wants SNL to be prepared for this year’s presidential debates, which are scheduled for later this month and next month. They want the hosts and performers to be well-versed in politics so they can make more informed jokes during those events.
- The show’s production team will likely have the new episode ready in time for next week’s broadcast, but there has been no word about when it will air or who will host it yet. Stay tuned!
- We hope that you liked the repeat of last night’s episode! We hope you enjoyed your time with us. We hope that you will come back next week to watch a new episode of SNL.
What Happened During The SNL Repeat?
- The episode began with a cold open that featured Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump making a speech about his “wall.”
- In the opening sketch, Kate McKinnon played Jeff Sessions and Aidy Bryant played Sarah Huckabee Sanders. The two were approached by Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer and she made an appearance in the sketch.
- The second sketch of the night was a parody of the movie ‘The Girl On The Train’ called ‘The Boy From A Train.’ This sketch was an SNL-style take on the recent sexual harassment allegations that have been brought up in Hollywood.
- The third segment of Saturday Night Live was a parody of an infomercial for a product called ‘It’s A 10 Hair Care System,’ which is meant to make your hair look like it has never looked before. This commercial starred Kate McKinnon, who plays Kellyanne Conway, and Cecily Strong, who plays Melania Trump in the show’s sketches. It featured some funny lines like “I can’t believe I trusted my husband with my hair!” and also had some great visual gags like when they showed how much product they were using in their hair to make it look so good!
- Next, there was another political-themed skit when Michael Che came out to host Weekend Update and brought out Beck Bennett dressed as Justin Trudeau from Canada, alongside Kyle Mooney dressed as Donald Trump.
- The show’s final sketch was a parody of the popular game show Family Feud, with host Steve Harvey and contestants Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. The segment was meant to be a spoof on the recent presidential debates that have been going on lately.
Will There Be New Episodes Soon?
1. SNL’s Season Premiere Was a Disaster.
SNL has had a rough time lately, but last night’s episode was the worst of the season. The episode opened with host Alec Baldwin taking a swing at his co-stars. The opening monologue was so bad that it was even taken from the show by TMZ. The only highlight of the episode was a performance by Justin Timberlake and Chris Stapleton. However, one of the best moments from last night’s episode came from SNL writer Dan Amboyer who said that he didn’t want to watch the show anymore because he felt like it was “a repeat last night.”
2. Last Night Was Not an Unprecedented Repeat on SNL.
Unfortunately, this is not an unprecedented occurrence on SNL (or any other comedy sketch show). There have been many repeat episodes in recent years and there are usually several repeats each week when you factor in holiday specials and new episodes of other shows (like The View). Last night might not be as bad as some past repeats, but it is still pretty bad overall considering how far along we are in the season and how many times they usually air new episodes during this time period. Many viewers are wondering if NBC will pick up another new episode this week or if they will just wait until next week to air another new episode of SNL.
3. How Bad Was It? It Was Worse Than the Entire Season Premiere.
It was so bad that it was even worse than the entire season premiere of SNL. The season premiere of SNL drew 22.4 million viewers and it was the most-watched episode in 11 years (since the 2004 election). Last night’s episode drew just 17 million viewers, which is only a little more than half of what they usually get in a Saturday night broadcast. The season premiere of SNL is also one of their biggest ratings draws each year, so it’s pretty bad when they have a worse episode than one of their strongest episodes ever.
4. It Was Even Worse Than Their Worst Episode Ever.
Last night’s episode was not even close to being as bad as some of their worst episodes ever. For example, last week’s episode earned just 13 million viewers and that was their worst week since early November this year (before last night). Last night’s episode wasn’t even as bad as some other recent episodes that didn’t air on NBC or ABC (like the Celebrity Apprentice finale). Even though it doesn’t look like NBC will air another new episode this week, there are still many questions about what will happen with SNL in the coming weeks or whether they will make any changes to improve things moving forward.
5. Will NBC Still Air New Episodes?
There are still many questions about whether NBC will air new episodes of Saturday Night Live, but there are some signs that they might. Some of the cast members have been tweeting about it, but we still don’t know whether they will air another new episode or not. There have been rumors that they are considering cutting back on their number of new episodes, which would be a big mistake and could lead to them losing SNL in the long run. If they cut back on their number of new episodes, then it would be a huge problem for them because they aren’t getting enough viewers to make it worth airing more than one or two episodes per week (even if those episodes were good). We’ll keep you updated on any news about this situation as we find out more.
6. How Many New Episodes Will They Air This Season?
SNL has already aired five new episodes this season and there will likely be at least one more episode next week (which is the last week before Christmas). The most recent episode was last night’s episode which drew 17 million viewers, so that gives us an idea of what kind of numbers they can draw if they don’t cut back on the number of new episodes during December or January (like some other networks do). If NBC cuts back on their number of new shows this season and does a repeat instead, then that could be a big problem for them because they aren’t getting enough viewers to make it worth airing more than one or two episodes per week.
Possible Reasons For The Repetition
1. The show was facing a rating slump.
SNL has been struggling since the beginning of this season. While the show typically airs a new episode every week, there have been repeating episodes and occasions where the show aired back-to-back episodes. NBC executives may have decided that airing repeats would help maintain viewership and boost ratings for SNL considerably. However, this strategy backfired when many people still tuned in to watch the repeat instead of a new episode. The network may have wanted to help boost ratings, but it only seemed to backfire on them in this instance.
2. The show was facing an incredibly long delay before it aired.
NBC has not aired an original episode of SNL since September 29th, 2016 – almost two months ago! This is very unusual for a popular comedy series like SNL and could be one reason why NBC gave viewers an opportunity to watch repeats last night instead of a new episode. Perhaps they were hoping that viewers would not notice that it was just another repeat! In any case, the long delay is definitely something worth considering when it comes to why SNL was repeated last night! Find out what else happened during the broadcast below and then see some clips from the show below!
3. The show was facing technical difficulties.
NBC gave viewers an opportunity to catch up last night with a repeat of the show and that may have been the best choice for the network. SNL is a very popular program and if it was not working properly, there would have been a lot of pressure on NBC to fix it as soon as possible. The only problem is that this issue could have happened at any time during the week, but NBC chose to air repeats last night instead of a new episode. Find out what else happened during the broadcast below and then see some clips from the show below!
The Saturday Night Live rerun last night may have featured two musical performances, but it didn’t feature any new political satire. This is a missed opportunity, especially since the show has been criticized in recent years for turning its back on political satire. This rerun was a missed opportunity to prove that the show can still tackle political issues even with a reduced budget and a smaller team. Hopefully, the show will use the break to create new episodes that live up to the show’s history and reputation.