When you think of tools, you probably don’t think of something that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars. But if you have ever shopped for Snap-On tools before, you probably know they are ridiculously expensive. Many mechanics that own their own repair shops find these tools to be unaffordable. If you are looking at becoming a mechanic or auto technician in the future, investing in a set of Snap-On tools may not seem like a wise choice right now. However, there are many benefits to owning them as well. Let’s take a look at why Snap-On tools are so expensive and whether it is worth investing in one.
Why Are Snap-On Tools So Expensive?
They’re Built To Last
While a tool’s build quality isn’t the only factor that determines its price, it is one of the most important ones. Specialty tools are built to last, and that comes at a price. If a tool is cheaply made, you’ll likely have to replace it sooner than you would if you had used a more expensive option. This can cost you more in the short term and in the long run. For example, a cheap wrench set might only last you a couple of years before you have to replace it. On the other hand, a higher-end set of wrenches might last you for decades. Tools that last a long time generally justify their price tag by lasting longer than their cheaper counterparts.
Another reason why specialty tools are so expensive is that they’re made with high-quality materials. Cheaper tools are made with materials that are less durable and more likely to break. While a cheap wrench set will run you just a couple of bucks, a high-quality set will get you a few hundred. When you compare how long each set is likely to last you, it’s easy to understand why the more expensive option is the better value. A cheap set will probably only last you a couple of years. Meanwhile, a high-quality wrench set made from premium materials may last you a decade or more. This doesn’t mean that all expensive tools are made with high-quality materials. However, it is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind. For example, high-quality wrenches are usually forged with a combination of iron and steel. These materials are extremely durable and can withstand years of use and abuse with little wear. On the other hand, cheap wrenches may be made with soft aluminum that bends very easily.
Limited Edition And Exclusive Tools
Some specialty tools are made in limited editions or are available exclusively from a specific brand. The availability of these tools is limited because the manufacturer only produced a certain number of them. As a result, these tools are very expensive and difficult to find. The key word here is “limited.” If you’re willing to wait for an item to go back into production, you may be able to find it at a much more affordable price. Wrench sets are a common example of tools that are often available in limited editions. Popular wrench sets are often re-released every few years in new designs or colors that are only available for a short duration. If you like the design of a certain set, but it’s too expensive, you can always wait until it goes back into production.
One of the biggest factors that determine the price of a tool is its function. If a tool has a very specific function, it’s likely to be more expensive than a tool that performs a more general function. For example, a specialty impact wrench is designed to remove extremely tight bolts. Such a tool is only needed in a very specific situation. Likewise, a hydraulic torque wrench makes it easy to measure and adjust the tightness of bolts. However, you don’t need this tool unless you work in a field that requires you to use hydraulic tools. This doesn’t mean that all highly specialized tools are expensive. However, many of them are. If you only occasionally need to use a certain function, a specialty tool may be a bit of an overkill.
Brand Recognition And Reputation
Another reason why Snap-on and other similar tools are so expensive is because of brand recognition and reputation. Name brand tools are often priced higher than less well-known brands because people trust them. For example, Snap-on is a very well-known and respected brand. There are very few people who don’t know the name. Likewise, the company has a long reputation for making high-quality tools. Many people who purchase Snap-on and other similar tool sets are doing so because they want to invest in their profession. They know that these tools are made to last and are likely to be used for many years.
Why You Should Invest In A Snap-On Tool Set Anyway?
- The high price of Snap-on tools may make you doubt whether it is worth your money to buy them. However, the truth is that they are worth the investment. There are many reasons why it is wise to buy Snap-on tools over other brands.
- First, Snap-on tools are made to last. When they are first purchased, they are guaranteed to last for up to 10 years. This is long enough to warrant the high price of the tools. Even if you end up replacing the tools within the first few years, they will probably still be worth it.
- This is because Snap-on tools are designed to be passed down to other family members. For example, if you go into repairing cars as a career, you can keep your father’s old set of Snap-on tools for your own kids.
What Types Of Tools Are Included In A Snap-On Kit?
- Open-End Wrenches – Open-end wrenches are designed with a deep socket on one side and a regular handle on the other. These are used when you need a looser grip to turn a tight bolt.
- Socket Wrenches – Socket wrenches are used to turn bolts and screws with a tight grip. They come in many sizes and types including ratchets.
- Box-End Wrenches – Box-end wrenches are designed to fit perfectly into a square hole. They are less functional than open-end wrenches, but can still be used for some situations.
- Extension Bars – Extension bars are used to increase the length of your socket wrench. They are helpful for reaching tight spaces or for when you need to use a longer wrench.
- Break-away Screwdrivers – Break-away screwdrivers are designed to break or snap off when they get stuck. They are helpful for preventing you from stripping screws.
Are There Any Alternatives To Snap-On Tools?
- While we have been praising the benefits of Snap-on tools, it is important to note that there are still alternatives to this brand. There are many brands of tools that can provide the same quality and function as Snap-on tools at a lower price.
- Craftsman – Craftsman is a brand that is similar to Snap-on. It is also a family-owned company and produces high-quality tools.
- Husky – Husky is another brand that produces high-quality tools. They are priced similarly to Snap-on tools but are not quite as good of a quality.
- Klein – Klein is a lower-priced option for tools. They are less reliable and do not last nearly as long as Snap-on or Craftsman tools, but are significantly cheaper.
Some Advantages Of Owning A Set Of Snap-On Tools
- The main reason why many people decide to invest in a full set of Snap-On tools is that they want their work to look professional. Nothing looks more unprofessional than using hand tools that are rusted, falling apart, or have seen better days.
- Owning a set of Snap-On tools ensures that you always have clean, shiny tools when you are working. This is especially important when it comes to working in a shop with other people.
- Nothing looks worse than having a pile of rusty, dirty tools sitting in the corner of the shop. It makes the whole shop look unprofessional and can give a potential customer the wrong impression.
Disadvantages Of Owning Snap-On Tools
- The main disadvantage that comes with owning Snap-On tools is their price. They are considerably more expensive than other brands. Many people do not have the money to purchase one of these sets.
- They are often out of the price range of most people other than those in the auto repair industry. If you are someone who is just getting into auto repair, you may not be able to afford these tools. This may cause you to get a bad reputation among your fellow co-workers because you don’t have the same tools as them.
- Another disadvantage of owning Snap-On tools is that they are very often overkill. Many of the hand tools that come in a standard set are designed to work on heavy-duty projects. This means that you will likely not be using many of the tools often. The ones that you do use will be overkill for lighter repairs.
The main takeaway from this article is that Snap-On tools are very expensive. This is because they are designed to last a long time and withstand a lot of wear and tear. Owning a set of these tools is a great idea if you work in the auto repair industry. You never know when you will need to use them. However, if you are just getting into auto repair, these tools may be too expensive for you. You want to make sure that you are investing wisely in your tools.