When it comes to outdoor lighting, there are a variety of different styles and types to choose from. From porch lights to path lights, there is something for every outdoor space and every taste. If you want your backyard or patio to feel like an oasis at night but don’t want to spend a fortune on new landscaping, upgrading your outdoor lighting is a great place to start. Fortunately, there are many affordable and effective ways that you can light up your outdoor space after the sun goes down. One of the most common types of outdoor lights is flood lights. These versatile fixtures can be used in almost any setting and come in many different shapes, sizes, and styles. If you’re interested in learning more about floodlights and why they’re called floodlights in this blog post!
Why Are They Called Flood Lights?
Floodlights are called flood lights because they are designed to light up a large area with a powerful beam of light. Floodlights are usually used to illuminate outdoor areas such as sports fields, parking lots, and construction sites.
What Is A Flood Light?
- Flood lights are large fixtures that are designed to light up a wide space. These fixtures are typically mounted on poles or on the roofs of buildings. Floodlights are usually very similar to spotlights, but they tend to be larger and have a wider beam of light.
- Spotlights and floodlights are very similar in terms of their design, though flood lights tend to be larger and more powerful than spotlights. Flood lights also have a wider beam angle than spotlights do, which makes them great for lighting up large spaces like fields or parking lots. Spotlights, on the other hand, are better suited for illuminating smaller areas like doorways and walkways.
- While area lights typically refer to outdoor string lighting, you can also think of an area light as being a type of flood light that is designed for indoor use. An area light differs from a traditional floodlight in that it has an adjustable head that allows you to direct the beam of light wherever you choose rather than having it shine in one direction only like most outdoor flood lights do.
- Flood lights are designed to illuminate large areas with a powerful beam of light. These fixtures are often mounted on poles or on the roofs of buildings so that they can shine their beams down onto the areas that need to be lit up. Floodlights are usually very similar to spotlights, but they tend to be larger and have a wider beam angle than spotlights do.
Why Is Everyone Called Flood Lights?
Flood lights have a very specific design and are often used to illuminate large areas, such as fields or parking lots. These fixtures are also designed to produce powerful beams of light that can be adjusted to shine wherever you choose. Since floodlights are so powerful, they’re capable of illuminating large areas with ease.
2. Beam Angle
One characteristic that makes flood lights unique is the wide beam angle that these fixtures have. Floodlights have a very wide beam angle, which means they’re capable of illuminating large areas with ease. When you think of floodlights, you should envision a fixture that has a very wide beam angle since this is one characteristic that sets these lights apart from other types of outdoor lighting fixtures!
3. Power Source
Flood lights are typically hooked up to an electrical source like the ones found in homes or businesses; however, some flood lights can also be powered by solar energy or another type of alternative energy source! The fact that these types of lights can be powered by alternative energy sources is one reason why many people prefer them over traditional forms of outdoor lighting!
Flood lights are typically used to illuminate large areas at night, so they’re often used to keep people safe when they’re walking on a road or parking lot at night. These fixtures are also designed to produce powerful beams of light that can be adjusted to shine wherever you choose, which is why many homeowners install them around their homes or businesses!
Floodlights are very bright and can be placed in areas where there isn’t a lot of ambient light; however, these fixtures aren’t as bright as some other types of outdoor lighting fixtures are. If you want to make sure your home or business is well-lit at night, you might want to consider installing flood lights outside in addition to other types of outdoor lighting!
There are several different ways that floodlights can be used; however, one way that these lights are commonly used is for illuminating large areas like fields or parking lots so they can be seen at night. Since floodlights have very wide beam angles and can produce very powerful beams of light, they’re perfect for illuminating large areas with ease!
7. Safety Features
Many flood lights have safety features that make it easy for people who park cars in lots at night to see the beams of light coming from the fixture and avoid hitting the fixture with their vehicle while driving in the dark! These safety features include motion
Types Of Flood Lights
There are several different types of flood lights available, which is why it’s important to know the differences between each type so you can determine which one might be best for your needs!
1. HID Flood Lights
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) lights are often used to illuminate outdoor areas like fields, parking lots, and other large areas; however, some people also use these lights to light up pathways leading up to their homes at night. These lights are typically very bright and emit a lot of light; however, they can be quite expensive to install and maintain.
2. Halogen Flood Lights
Halogen floodlights are typically used in the same way as high-intensity discharge floodlights; however, these fixtures do not require electrical connections as most HID lights do! Halogen floodlights are very bright and can produce powerful beams of light that illuminate large areas; however, they tend to be more expensive than many other types of floodlights.
3. LED Flood Lights
Light Emitting Diode (LED) fixtures aren’t as bright as some other types of outdoor lighting fixtures are; however, they don’t require a lot of electricity or maintenance! These lights have become very popular in recent years because they last a long time and don’t require as much maintenance as many other types of outdoor lighting fixtures do!
4. Xenon Flood Lights
Xenon floodlights are one type of outdoor lighting fixture that has a very high lumen output, which makes them very bright in comparison to other types of fixtures! These floodlights can be used to illuminate large areas; however, they’re typically more expensive than many other types of floodlights.
5. Sodium Flood Lights
Sodium floodlights are often used in parking lots and other large areas because they can be placed far away from the area being lit and still produce a lot of light! These lights also have an incredibly long lifespan, which makes them great for lighting up large areas!
6. Mercury Flood Lights
Mercury flood lights are often used in outdoor areas because this type of lighting fixture is very bright and can illuminate large areas with ease! These lights have the capability of producing extremely powerful beams of light that can illuminate large areas like parking lots with ease!
7. Xenon Halogen Flood Lights
These lights combine the power of both xenon and halogen bulbs to create incredibly powerful beams of light that can be used to illuminate large areas with ease! These fixtures are typically more expensive than some other types of floodlights, but they produce an incredible amount of light while using less electricity than most other types do!
Benefits Of Using Flood Lights
– Floodlighting helps to illuminate large areas of land, which makes it a great solution for those who need to light up a large area like a parking lot or baseball field.
– Flood lights are available in many different wattages and colors, so they’re capable of producing different amounts of light that can be used for many different purposes.
– Flood lights are very easy to install, as most come with their own power cords and mounting brackets; however, some floodlights do not require electrical connections at all!
– Flood lights are typically very easy to maintain, as they don’t require any type of special care or maintenance; however, some floodlights do require that the bulbs be changed on a regular basis.
How To Install Flood Lights?
- Turn off the power to the area that you’re going to be working on.
- Remove all of the bulbs from the fixture; this will make it easier to work on the fixture itself.
- Install a mounting bracket onto your fixture, then mount it where you want to place your flood light. If a mounting bracket isn’t included with your flood light, you can find one at a home improvement store or online. You can also use an existing mounting bracket that was previously installed by another business or homeowner in your area if you have permission from them first!
- Connect an electrical wire to each side of the floodlight, then wrap electrical tape around each connection to ensure that they don’t come loose during operation!
- Connect the electrical wires to a power source in order to test your flood light before completing the installation.
Flood lights make a great addition to your outdoor space. They can help illuminate a wide area, making them ideal for illuminating large properties. Flood lights are a great choice for illuminating paths, gardens and yards. They are also effective at illuminating larger areas like sports fields. Flood lights are often easy to install and provide great illumination for a relatively low price. For more information about flood lights and other types of outdoor lighting, please browse this blog post!